Table of Contents
If you told me 10 years ago that I could have a UVC filter in my pond that runs purely from solar power, I would have most likely laughed in your face and carried on about my day.
Imagine my surprise as I stumbled across the 'brand new for 2023' SolarClear Pond UVC from PondXpert.
As you can see from the photo above, it's an inline-UVC that will need to be connected to your pond pump, and requires no hard wiring to your mains electric in order to be powered.
The Power of Solar Technology
Harness the power of the sun to keep your garden pond crystal clear. The Solar Powered UVC has been designed to run for 2 hours every day, helping prevent the appearance of green water. Say goodbye to murky ponds and hello to beautiful, clear water.
What's the Power Output of the Solar Powered UVC?
Equipped with an integrated 5W bulb, the Solar Powered UVC packs a punch that belies its size. It's perfectly capable of maintaining not just smaller ponds, but is also an excellent choice for wildlife ponds.
Mains Wire Free Pond UVC
The Solar Powered UVC is a true technological breakthrough. Imagine a world where you can enjoy the serenity of a pristine pond without the hassle of wires. Well, it's no longer a dream - it's a reality!
All you need is a Pond Pump!
The Solar Powered UVC is designed to be paired with a pump to push water past the UVC bulb. As per the product specifications, it's recommended to use a pump capacity of between 400LPH and 800LPH for optimum performance.
Sizes and Cable Length
The Solar Powered UVC Solar Panel measures 215 x 155 x 45mm, while the UVC has dimensions of 240 x 90 x 90mm.
The system also includes a cable length of 5m ensuring your can position the solar panel in an area that receives good sunlight.
The Solar Powered UVC comes with a reliable battery backup of 7.4v-2000mAH, ensuring your solar UVC can perform even in less sunny conditions. The operational voltage is 12V DC, making it a safe and efficient choice for your garden.
To make your water gardening experience even smoother, the Solar Powered UVC includes a ground spike for easy installation. So, you can set up your new garden feature with minimal hassle and start enjoying the benefits straight away.
How does this compared to a mains powered UVC?
It's worth considering if a solar powered UVC will fit your needs, below I have compared the new solar UVC with a standard mains powered UVC.
Solar Powered UVC
- Eco-Friendly: Solar Powered UVC uses renewable energy from the sun, reducing carbon footprint and promoting sustainable gardening.
- Wire-Free: The solar-powered nature of this UVC eliminates the need for wiring, making it easier to install and move around if necessary.
- Cost-Efficient: Although there may be an initial investment, the Solar Powered UVC saves on electricity costs in the long run.
- Battery Backup: It includes a battery backup, ensuring operation even during cloudy or less sunny days.
- Safe: The low operational voltage (12V DC) reduces the risk of electric shock, making it safer to use in an outdoor environment.
- Dependent on Sunlight: While the battery backup helps, the effectiveness of a Solar Powered UVC can be influenced by the amount of sunlight available.
- Limited Running Time: The Solar Powered UVC is designed to run for 2 hours daily. Depending on the size and condition of your pond, you might need a longer operation time.
Mains Powered UVC
- Constant Power Supply: With a mains powered UVC, you can rely on a steady power source, regardless of weather or sunlight availability.
- Longer Running Time: Typically, a mains powered UVC can run continuously, which might be beneficial for larger ponds or more challenging water conditions.
- Potentially More Powerful: Depending on the model, some mains powered UVCs might offer a higher capacity or more powerful UV light, which can be more effective for larger ponds.
- Higher Running Costs: Mains powered UVCs will add to your electricity bills, making them potentially more expensive in the long run.
- Installation Complexity: They often require a wired connection, which can make installation more complex and may limit where you can place them in your garden.
- Environmental Impact: Unlike solar-powered models, mains powered UVCs rely on traditional energy sources, which contribute to carbon emissions.
Where to buy the Solar Powered Pond UVC
As of right now, the Solar UVC is only available from online for £79.99.
I would be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by this new product from PondXpert. I think it will be more than suitable for smaller garden ponds, and absolutely perfect for wildlife ponds (only if you have a pond pump).
For larger ponds with Koi stocks, I would personally use a higher powered mains supplied UVC system.
If you're concerned about running costs for a UVC, first check my free guide on calculating the monthly/yearly running costs of a pond UVC to see if you can afford to keep a UVC running 24/7.